Monday, July 11, 2011
I made Cheddar Cheese Muffins the other day. My gang had one word: "NotCheesyEnough!" Whoa! And to think I took the liberty to add more cheese than the recipe called for. I didn't quite believe them, so I took a bite, and yes, I have to agree with their young, discerning tastebuds. Ah, how could I have doubted my food critics at all? They, who always give the most brutally honest, un-PC comments! That's why I love them. :)
I would recommend adding more cheese, or using a sharp cheddar (I used regular mild cheddar). Also, I felt it would have been nicer if it was just a little bit sweeter ... maybe add an extra 1 tbsp sugar. I know it's supposed to be a savoury muffin, but I do feel the balance between sweet and savoury was kinda "off-balance". They may not have blown us away, but these muffins were nonetheless a welcome treat at tea, especially when still slightly warm out of the oven.
Have a good week ahead, everyone!
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted & then cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups (195g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used 1 cup regular cheddar cheese)
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. In a large bowl, combine milk, melted butter, egg and cayenne.
3. In a second bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar & salt.
4. Stir in cheese.
5. Add flour mixture to milk mixture and stir batter until it is just combined.
6. The batter should be lumpy.
7. Spoon the batter into muffin tins (buttered or lined) filling each about 2/3 full.
8. Bake 20-25 minutes.