Terong Balado is a very popular Indonesian dish. It is basically Brinjal in Balado sauce. As you know, Brinjal is also known as Eggplant or Aubergine, depending on where you live. This recipe is one of my favourite stirfry dishes because it is fast, easy and delicious!
- 1 large brinjal, cut into short, thick strips (or into circles, if the brinjal is round)
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 or 3 shallots
- 2 fresh red chilli, deseeded
- 1 or 2 fresh juicy tomatoes, diced
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Small amount of water, if too dry
1. Pound garlic, shallots and chilli into a coarse paste. Add diced tomatoes and mix. Set aside.
2. Fry brinjal in oil till the the flesh turns light golden. Dish up and drain off excess oil. Set aside.
3. With a small amount of oil, fry the paste till fragrant. There should be some liquid from the tomatoes. If too dry, add a little water.
4. Toss in the brinjal, add salt and sugar, and quickly stir fry all the ingredients.
5. Dish up and garnish. I used crispy fried shallots for some crunch. Serve hot.