Bless the Italians! I love eggs and a simple Frittata is just right up my alley. It's a delicious one-dish meal which has loads of room for creativity and leftovers :) What's not to like?
Frittate (the plural of Frittata) are lovely served warm or cold, so they make perfect snacks to take along to picnics or road trips.
I made these on a whim. My plumber was coming to fix a choked pipe (disaster in my kitchen for 2 days!!) and I hadn't had lunch. Looking around my pantry, I spotted 1 lonely potato, an opened packet of shredded cheese and some wilting stalks of spring onions. Immediately, I thought of a savoury Potato and Cheese Frittata :) Yum!
To those ingredients, I added 1 shallot and 2 large eggs (thickened with some whipping cream and seasoned with salt and pepper). I also threw in 1 chilli, deseeded.
I know I should really add another egg or 2, to make a thicker, prettier Frittata. But since I was eating it by myself, imagine what that would do to my cholesterol level!!!
So, due uova. Basta.
And yes, the plumber got the choked pipe fixed in 30 minutes. I am a lot poorer but infinitely happier, now that my kitchen is back in business! Yipee!
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp whipping cream (to be added to the eggs)
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 stalk spring onion, sliced finely
- 1 shallot, sliced finely
- 1 chilli, deseeded
- Shredded cheeses, to sprinkle over the Frittata
* Note that you need a small, non-stick pan for this (about 15-18cm), to get the desired thickness for the Frittata.
1. In a small, non-stick pan, fry the potato cubes in some olive oil till browned and cooked through.
2. Lower the flame, add in shallots and spring onions. Fry a while longer till fragrant.
3. Slowly pour in the egg mixture, coating the bottom of the non-stick pan entirely.
4. Initially, as the omelette starts to set at the bottom, allow the uncooked portion on top to flow beneath by occasionally breaking the middle of the omelette, and also by gently lifting the sides. Your flame must be very small.
5. Stop "messing" with it when the omelette begins to firm up.
6. Sprinkle chilli and shredded cheeses on top and allow the Frittata to cook through. The bottom should be browned while the interior still remains tender.