Let's roll out the red and white, cos we're having a party! Singapore turns 44 years old tomorrow :) I made this Banana Cake for the long National Day weekend. But not just any Banana Cake ... this one was made using Pisang Raja (King of Bananas), famed for it delectable golden, sweet flesh.
A simple ribbon and a dusting of icing sugar. Voila! Banana Cake gets glammed up :)
This is by far, the best Banana Cake I have ever made. The Pisang Raja was so sweet and aromatic, the entire cake smelled and tasted like magic. It was moist and light, and kept its softness, thanks to the use of canola oil instead of butter. Oh, heaven! Finally, I say with confidence, "I can bake a Banana Cake to save my life." LOL.
- 90g oil (I used a canola-olive oil blend)
- 90g castor sugar (which I reduced to 75 because the Pisang Raja were incredibly sweet)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 125g cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 bananas, mashed with a fork
- 25g evaporated milk or regular milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (I used only 2 drops this because I wanted the true flavour of bananas to stand out)
1. Beat egg and sugar till light and creamy.
2. Add milk, mashed bananas, oil and vanilla essence and combine.
3. In a separate bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder and baking soda, and give a quick whisk. Fold in flours into the wet ingredients until no traces of flour remain. Do not over-mix. Stop the moment everything is incorporated.
5. Pour into a lined 6-inch round tray.
6. Bake at 175 degree celsius for about 50mins, or until cooked. I tented my cake with foil to prevent the top from burning.
On a more serious note, I only have one simple wish for my beloved country, and that is, for the people to be happy.
So often, in our pursuit of happiness, we lose sight of the raison d'être. The rat race consumes us while the prize eludes. We keep wanting more. Goal posts keep shifting. When will it ever end?
The means to an end should be an end in itself.
May Singaporeans find happiness as we grow from strength to strength. Majullah Singapura!