Anyway, today I made Stirfried Mixed (ahem) Veggies with the following ingredients:
* 3-day old firm tofu (tau kwa) - half of a large square, cubed.
* 4-day old bean sprouts - just 2 pathetic handfuls left in the bag.
* 1-week old brinjal which I unearthed from the chiller (you can run but you cannot hide ... muahahaha) - cubed.
* 2-month old dried cuttlefish strips (still plenty from the last time I made radish cake, but these keep well) - just a handful.
* 1-week old spring onions (just 1 miserable, wilting stalk left) - chopped.
To these "expiring soon" ingredients, I added 1 chilli (deseeded and sliced) and 2 shallots. I fried everything lightly in minimal oil, garlic, salt and a small shaving of belacan, which you can substitute with other flavourings, I suppose - perhaps ikan bilis (anchovies) powder or chicken stock granules?
And voila! Yummilicious Stirfried Mixed (ahem) Veggies, which don't look their age! LOL.