I stumbled upon this recipe on Chocolate & Zucchini's blog. I was searching for an easy cake for my daughter to make and it looked perfect. Incidentally, this is the first cake most French children learn when they start learning to bake. That's because all the ingredients can easily be measured out using the yogurt tubs.
Gâteau Au Yaourt
- 2 eggs
- 2 yogurt tubs (125ml + 125ml) whole milk plain unsweetened yogurt
- Using the same yogurt tubs, measure out 1 tub sugar (200g)
- A little less than 1 yogurt tub vegetable oil (80ml)
- 4 yogurt tubs all-purpose flour (220g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp light rum (which I omitted because I didn't have it)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, grease and line the bottom of a round 10-inch pan. In a large mixing-bowl, gently combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and rum. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture and mix. Don't overwork the dough. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand for ten minutes, then transfer onto a rack to cool.