This is my family's favourite Chinese New Year goodie, hands down. Mildly sweet with hints of saltiness, and full of crunch, thanks to the delicious almond bits. Make them in mini sizes if you have young children, so that they can pop 'em whole and save you from cleaning up crumbs ;)
(from Oilin's blog)
- 100g ghee
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 70g ground almonds
- 150g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Egg glaze: egg yolk
1. Mix first 4 ingredients, then add almonds and mix.
2. Sift flour, baking soda and salt. Mix and add to above. Mix to form a dough.
3. Scoop dough with a teaspoon, shape it with your hands and arrange on lined tray. Brush with yolk glaze.
4. Bake in preheated 180 degree celsius oven for 12 to 14 minutes till yolk glaze on cookies look golden yellow and bottoms of cookies are golden brown. Do not overbake!! Do not underbake either or cookies will not be crisp.
5. Allow cookies to cool completely on a rack and store in container.